Welcome!

Nov 20, 2009 Leave a Comment

Hi, I'm Maureen. I am a soil scientist living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I grew up in a little town called Ann Arbor, Michigan. Maybe you've heard of it. Or not. I went to Hope College in Holland, Michigan in 2001. While many of the other girls at school were working on their Mrs. degrees, I spent the next four years writing and editing for the student newspaper and getting two majors. I graduated in 2005 with a degree in creative writing and geology. I realize these things don't exactly go together, but sometimes being a geologist means you have to be creative.

After college, I decided I needed a little adventure in my life so I headed out west to Las Vegas, Nevada (hopefully you've heard of that one) for grad school, where I got my Master's Degree in soil science in the spring of 2008. While there, I learned a lot about science, and about life as I experienced things one can only experience in Las Vegas. I worked on a pretty cool little project studying vesicular pores in a surface soil horizon called the A horizon and had a lot of fun mixing chemicals in the lab and staring through the lens of a scanning electron microscope for hours on end.

Upon graduation, I headed back to Michigan. But I wasn't there long. About six months later, I was on the road again, this time bound for Albuquerque where I had just taken a job as a soil scientist. It was scary and exciting to have my first real job out of school. I would also be living alone for the first time, which you would be excited about too if you had some of my former roommates.

Being new in town, I tried to find some fun things to do in the ABQ and joined a couple local meetup groups. I quickly learned that these groups were designed for people at least 10-20 years my senior and have since stopped going. Before that happened, however, I attended one of their parties and was surprised to see a young man about my age (who apparently had also not discovered the age difference until then). He saw me too, and after a while, and a few shots, he decided to come over to talk to me. We ended up talking for the rest of the night and a few days later he called to ask me out. Matt and I have been together ever since.

This, my blog, chronicles my life as a soil scientist and as a girl living in New Mexico. I am excited to share my adventures with you!

2 comments »

  • RatalieNose said:  

    And I'm excited to read them!!!!
    You are officially awesome!

  • Amanda - Small Home Big Start said:  

    That is so impressive. Its sounds like you have an interesting job, and its given you the opportunity to study is some fun locations. I have friends from New Mexico (they hate the Canadian winters up here) and I'm looking forward to reading about all your adventures!

    Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog! Come again soon :)

  • Leave your response!