Apache Springs Cabin

Oct 8, 2010 Leave a Comment

Hello!  I'm back!  It's been two weeks since the wilderness and I still haven't posted the second part yet.  Not too much exciting has happened since then, I think.  Oh wait, no, I went to Santa Fe...and Corrales.  But that was two weekends ago.  Last weekend was kinda lame.  Caleb Crump wasn't even on!  Ahh, that show cracks me up.  I hope it comes back on soon.  This week I went out in the field with my boss.  Woo-hoo.  We listened to Rush Limbaugh and country music.  It was a blast.

Anyway.  I got distracted.  I was going to write about Apache Cabin, which is where we stayed on our trip to the wilderness.  Last time I said we weren't sure what it was going to be like.  Well, unlike with the water, we were actually pleasantly surprised by the cabin.  Here's what it looked like from the outside.


Not too shabby, eh?  The inside wasn't too bad either.  Minus a few minor details....


There was also rat poop on the floor, which was the main factor in my decision to pitch my tent the night we got there.  I almost didn't, because it was raining and getting dark and I was feeling lazy.  But I thought that everyone else was so I forced myself to do it.  My boss did also but my three other co-workers decided to sleep in the cabin.  The first couple nights they talked about putting up their tents but they never did.  Near the end of our time there, they were all saying how great it was to sleep in there without the rocks and sloping ground (oh yeah, did I mention the cabin was built on a small bench located within a very steep slope?  really weird place to put a cabin) so I felt like I missed out a little, but I still think I did the right thing.

To give you a little bit of an idea of the slope we were on, here's the view from the door.



Maybe hard to tell from your perspective, but it's steep....  Okay, now more cabin!

This is the stove.  We never used it.  I'm pretty sure it didn't work and would have probably started a fire.


Here's where we kept all our stuff.


We used this table for eating dinner and playing cards.


At night, we used a lantern that my boss brought.  It was really helpful, but it was hung from the ceiling and I was the only one who could walk under it easily.  Micah kept hitting his head on it.  Ha ha.

Here's another thing that was hanging from the ceiling.


Ummm... what else?  Oh yeah, the fire safety poster!


It's kind of hard to read, but it says stuff like "Don't cut off your foot;" "Don't accidentally hit someone with an axe;" and "Don't leave a fire before it's put out."

In the evenings, from outside the cabin, this was my favorite view to look at.


On the last morning, it rained, which was a bummer, since I had to pack up a wet tent.  But the air was all misty and it looked cool.
And that's about it.  Hope you enjoyed the little tour of the cabin in the woods.

2 comments »

  • carrie beth said:  

    what an incredible job you have! those pictures are gorgeous!
    you asked about our dog, yes, he's a boston terrier, and he's precious :)

  • Anonymous said:  

    These pictures are fantastic! The cabin looks a little scary, but I would still like it...as long as I wasn't in those 5" heels :)

  • Leave your response!