Flying Solo

Oct 23, 2010 Leave a Comment

It's been a while.  I have some catching up to do.  I like October.  There's lots of stuff going on, which makes me very busy.  But I have a few minutes now, so let's go back in time, shall we?

I'll start with the first weekend in October.  Matt was off seeing some stuff like this.

image from here
That's a B-29, in case you didn't know.  Don't worry, I didn't either. 

So I decided to go see some flying things of my own, at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.

I decided to go very early in the morning, so that it would still be dark out and I'd be able to see the balloon glow.  I took the bus over to the park, and rode with a group of sorority girls, who said things like "Wow, it's early in the morning and we still look great!"  On the way over, I saw the remainder of the dawn patrol flying away.  I've decided that next year I'm going to try to get there even earlier so I can see them take off.  Because it's cool.

When I got there, it was already crowded, and I made my way through the mass of people to the field where the balloon glow was going on.  The lit up balloons are pretty but it would be cooler if they were flying. 


As the morning wore on and the sky brightened, the rest of the balloons began to go up for mass ascension.


Then they started to take off...


...and fly away.


There were a lot of cool special shape balloons this year, including the much anticipated Darth Vader Balloon.


The famous Creamland Dairy Cow


Some cool chickens



A penguin



A wagon


And, some of my favorites, the bees.  There were three this year!


Later, I stumbled upon the chainsaw carving competition, and came across this, which I thought was pretty awesome.


Altogether, another successful balloon fiesta.

4 comments »

  • Off-Black said:  

    I knew it was a B-29 :) Nice to see Fifi flying again after being grounded for so long. The mass balloon launch looks awesome, nice pics.

  • Maureen said:  

    Haha, I figured you would. Matt was super excited about it when he found out it would be at the show.

  • Anonymous said:  

    That looks like so much fun!! I need to get out more.

  • Wildology said:  

    WOW!! Those are some of teh best balloons I have seen! I really liked Vader!

  • Leave your response!