, ,

Snow Day

Feb 1, 2011 Leave a Comment

The snow arrived in Albuquerque around 4pm last evening.  I got out of school, made a quick run to the grocery store, and hid in my apartment for the rest of the night, in hopes of a snow day sleep-in the next morning.

No such luck.  The weather hotline informed me that there would be no closures or delays, (but drive carefully!) so I gave myself some extra time and headed out into the snowy world.  It took about 45 minutes to get to work.  It usually takes 25.  Not horrible, but still.  When I arrived at 7:45 am, hardly anyone was there.  My boss was, though. He's always such a go-getter. 

I spent the morning un-installing ArcGIS 9.2 and all its extensions in preparation for installation of ArcGIS 9.3 so that I can actually use the new O Drive (see earlier post for that info).  Apparently, an old PLTS extension compatibility problem was causing all the to-do with that issue.  I'm not even really sure what PLTS does, though I feel like I should know (?)  Anyway, so, I'm in the middle of un-installing crap when the office manager comes by and says the office closed at 11.  It was 11:30 at that point and I couldn't really stop what I was doing so I stayed there until noon to finish up, then went home (or to Matt's house, rather, because it was closer and he had food). 

I don't really understand the point.  What exactly was accomplished by having people come in for 3 hours and then letting them go back out into the snowy madness.  I could have woken up late, brewed some tea, and baked blueberry muffins all day.  But no.  I am living the American dream.

Granted, we don't have A LOT of snow.  But we have enough wind and ice to cause some damage.  And man, is it COLD!

2 comments »

  • Off-Black said:  

    Do you still get paid for snow days? Never happened to me, so I am curious. Closest I can compare it to is not being able to get to work due to flooding once. Management made us take it as annual leave. Meh.

  • Maureen said:  

    Yes, we get paid for snow days. We code it the same as holidays on our time sheet. So there's no annual leave used, which is good because I am an annual leave hoarder.

  • Leave your response!