Isotopes

Sep 18, 2011 Leave a Comment

I know what you're thinking.  Isotopes?  Oh blah, this is going to be a science post.  Well... actually not.  I honestly don't know much about isotopes besides what you learn in Chem 101, which is probably bad considering I'm a scientist and all.  But whatever.  Today, I am going to talk about baseball.  Namely, the Albuquerque Isotopes, our minor league baseball team. 

Okay, so I don't really know much more about baseball than I do about elemental isotopes.  But I do know a little bit.  When we were "camping" at Negrito, J liked to watch the Brewers on tv and I'd bother him with about a million questions on everything that was going on.  It helped me to be more interested in the game and gave me something to talk to him about.  He didn't seem to mind, and I can usually tell when someone is a bad mood.

Anyway, I've been to a few Tigers games back in the day and I always found them enjoyable so I thought an Isotopes game would be pretty fun as well.  And it was!  Besides missing some of the beginning of the game to get drinks, not getting a hot dog (a little bummed about that one), and some kids spilling soda all over the floor under where we were sitting, I had an excellent time.  The game was very fast paced, kept my interest, and best of all... we won! 

We had really good seats, right behind home plate, and I even got some decently clear pictures despite my camera lens being (still) covered in cave dust. 







The Isotopes were the blue team and they played Round Rock, Texas, which I believe is somewhere near Austin?  They filmed some movies there, but I can't remember what they are now.

It was a pretty close game all the way through but Albuquerque stepped it up near the end and ended up winning 8-3.  They didn't even finish the last inning, which disappointed me slightly, but there were fireworks at the end so that made up for it. 

3 comments »

  • Wildology said:  

    The lone fact that their team is named isotopes would make it worth going!!

  • Maureen said:  

    The funny thing is they used to be the Dukes, for like, ever. And then they got a new manager or owner or something and changed the name to Isotopes, for all the big labs here (Sandia, Los Alamos). Despite this, a lot of people still call Albuquerque the Duke City.

  • Carma Sez said:  

    the word Isotopes made me break out in a sweat; glad you were not referring to chemistry; I've had about all the science I care for this semester :D

  • Leave your response!