A Christmas Post to Liven Things Up Around Here

Dec 19, 2011 Leave a Comment

It's seriously been forever since I posted anything.  I have so much to tell you but it involves looking for and adding in pictures and I've been rather lazy about that.  I got into Ann Arbor last night and will be here for the next 2 weeks, so expect to be hearing some more from me now that I have a break from the all-consuming work.  I hope to make a "real" post soon, but this seemed like a good fill-in post for now.


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I think wrapping paper makes gifts look prettier and more exciting but gift bags are easier.  I'll probably wrap this time, though, because what else do I have to do?


2. Real tree or Artificial? It's fun to look for a real tree but lately I've been feeling sorry for cutting down the trees.  I haven't been in years, though, and I just have a tiny fake one at my place because a big one wouldn't fit.


3. When do you put up the tree? Pretty much whenever I get around to it.  This year I set it up last week.  


4. When do you take the tree down? Same as above.  I like to leave it up for a while though, so that I get to look at it while I'm actually at home.


5. Do you like eggnog? Umm... it's ok.  I haven't had it in a really long time.  I know I don't necessarily dislike it, but it's not my favorite either.


6. Favorite gift received as a child? I really do not remember what gifts I received as a child.  Is that bad?


7. Do you have a nativity scene? My parents do.  It's kind of a random mismatch of actual Nativity scene and plastic animal figurines.  I used to pretend they were in an elaborate song and dance number.  But that was a long time ago.  Like... last year.  (Just kidding.  Or maybe not?)


8. Hardest person to buy for? It's sometimes hard to come up with ideas for my parents but I actually came up with a pretty good idea this year, I think.


9. Easiest person to buy for? My brother, for sure.


10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I like to send them in the mail.  It's more personal that way, especially since I don't send them to many people and I can write an individual message for each person.  


11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Probably some white elephant gift.  The one I got this year was a plastic mug that smelled like mothballs. 


12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Muppets Christmas (the one where they go to Fozzy's mom's house and visit Fraggle Rock and Miss Piggy gets caught in a snowstorm and the turkey tries to get the chef to cook Big Bird.  It's highly amusing)  And Santa Bear.


13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Depending on how much time I have, I usually don't start shopping until I get back to Ann Arbor, unless I want to get location-specific gifts.


14. Ever recycled a Christmas present?  We have a maroon box that has "What do sweatshirts and peanut butter have in common?" written on it.  We've recycled that box so many years that no one remembers the answer to the question.  It's somewhat frustrating.


15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I don't know... green beans?  cranberry jello?  cheesy potatoes?  Everything is good.


16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I like the colorful ones.  They are pretty.


17. Favorite Christmas song? Oh I don't know.  There's a Frank Sinatra song called Mrs. Santa Claus that I like quite a lot but I haven't been listening to a lot of Christmas music yet this year so it's hard to remember them all.


18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I go "home" to my parents' house.  Maybe in the future I will do something different but that will be decided later.


19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes, because of the Rudolph song (which my Jewish grandmother loved, by the way) and The Night Before Christmas story.


20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I made a Star of David out of construction paper and glitter when I was five.  It is still our tree topper to this day.  


21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? My brother, sister and I exchange our gifts on Christmas Eve and we open the ones from our parents on Christmas morning.


22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Ridiculous holiday shoppers (seriously, this old woman at the mall today... oh my gosh), Christmas commercials, jacked up holiday prices and pushy up selling salespeople.


23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? No theme.  We just put up what we have.  I guess the theme would be... eclectic?


24. What do you want for Christmas this year? I mostly want a new purse and camera but I kind of want to pick them out myself, so really... just money.

4 comments »

  • Mami en construcción said:  

    Glad you answered these questions!!
    I love your answers!
    Your brother is the easiest person to buy for?! Oh, my brother is the hardest person... I finally bought tons and tons of chocolates and sweets for him. Because, seriously, it was stressing me out!

  • Maureen said:  

    Maybe it's easier because my sister and I usually go in on it together. Although a lot of times it has been sweets... one year we bought him a giant rice krispie treat. And another time a giant Hershey bar. This year, we split it up so that he gets two presents... even though it's the same thing in each one. Haha.

  • PJ said:  

    I saw that Muppet Christmas special for the first time (First time! I couldn't believe it) last year when I came on tv! I thought it was great!

  • Off-Black said:  

    1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
    Depends on the object, but generally paper. Especially when I have a wife who is much better at wrapping stuff than me, and who enjoys it to the point she will happily sub contract all of my wrapping needs :)


    2. Real tree or Artificial?
    I love the smell but wife is allergic so haven't had one for years. Also saw how flammable they can be if not kept moist on a fire training course last week, so mixed feelings.


    3. When do you put up the tree?
    There are rules about this. Generally never before 1st Dec.


    4. When do you take the tree down?
    Again there are rules about this. Something to do with ten or twelve days after Christmas. Always gone by mid January though.


    5. Do you like eggnog?
    Is this a winter thing? Becuse eggnog is totally not part of Christmas in my part of the world (just as I suspect BBQ lunch by the pool isn't part of yours :) ).


    6. Favorite gift received as a child?
    The TIE Fighter I got in 1984. http://theswca.com/images-toys/micro/micro-tie.html
    I still have it :).


    7. Do you have a nativity scene?
    Yup.


    8. Hardest person to buy for?
    Everyone, including me. I am usually reduced to wandering the shops looking for inspiration, and neve know what I want when people ask.


    9. Easiest person to buy for?
    My wife I think.


    10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
    Don't really do cards. Just never got into the habit. Always feel guilty when we get beautiful cards from others.


    11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
    A really awful pillowcase from someone I won't name


    12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
    Die Hard :)Or Love Actually.


    13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
    When it is unavoidable usually.


    14. Ever recycled a Christmas present?
    Not to my knowledge


    15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
    BBQ Beef Fillet, and Pavlova.


    16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
    Coloured. Wrapped in tinsel for extra glow if you don't mind the risk of setting the house on fire.


    17. Favorite Christmas song?
    I am famous for generally loathing Christmas songs. Band Aid "Do they know it's Christmas? (Feed the World") for nostalgia reasons.


    18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
    Most extended family is local, so seldom have to travel too far. Did Christmas in Gore once, a few hundred miles south of usual, and in the UK once, the only time I have ever done a traditional 'winter' Christmas.


    19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
    Surprisingly given my love of trivia, no.


    20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
    Just checked the lounge and we have an angel this year, so angel


    21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
    Traditionally 1am ish Christmas morning after attending Midnight Mass. With young children now definitely a slightly later morning thing these days.


    22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
    Shops playing Christmas music over the PA. Thank the maker for portable MP3 players.


    23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color?
    Tinsel.


    24. What do you want for Christmas this year?
    Something cool.

  • Leave your response!