Time Traveling With The Spin Cycle

Apr 1, 2010 Leave a Comment

This week's spin cycle is all about going back through our old posts and finding our favorite one.  Since I haven't really had this blog for very long, that would be kinda dumb for me to do, but I have actually been blogging in some way, shape or form for quite a long time. Some of you read my wordpress blog, A Chronicle of My World Travels, which I kept for two years until I realized I wasn't exactly traveling the world, so in fact the whole premise of my blog was a lie.  Hence Adventures in the Underground was born.

But before all that, I was on livejournal, and before THAT, xanga.  Yep, I've been blogging since... umm, my freshman year of college.  I really wish I could find my old xanga posts because I'm sure they are so terrible and angst-ridden, that they might actually be interesting to read (for me, anyway), but luckily, I do still have access to my old lj posts, so that is what I am going to subject you to today.

After going through them, I am realizing that they kind of tell a story, the story of my life.  I can go back and look at them and think, oh I was so worried about this thing that one day, but then it actually turned out like this.  It's kinda cool.  So this is what I'm gonna do.  Every now and then,  I am going to post some really old stuff like this so that the story comes out bit by bit and it will be way fun!  Okay, maybe it will only be fun for me, but I'm assuming that those of you who have kept reading so far actually have a slight interest in what I have to say, so I'm going to go with it.

 Monday October 8, 2004
let's start at the very beginning...it's a very good place to start. umm, okay, so here's my journal of sorts. some people may say this is a waste of time but, well, i don't really care. so anyway it's a pretty pathetic looking journal right now because i don't know anything. that's about it for now. i think i'm going to go do some homework or something. yeah. bye. 

Thursday October 21, 2004
Well, I just got back from a GRE info session. It was okay but I'm afraid of failing, especially since I got a lovely 970 on the SAT oh so many years ago. I did okay on the ACT, though. Oh, well, maybe they'll still let me in anyway. I'm a nice enough person, I think... haha. I can't wait to go to Denver and meet some people from my prospective schools. That and seeing all the Wyoming kids. It will be exciting! But what I am mostly looking forward to, of course, is the mineralogy field trip tomorrow. It will be so cool! yayness! If there's only one reason I decided to stick with geology it's the field trips. Those are the best. Putting up tents in the atrium is always a plus as well. Except this summer when I ended up waterproofing the big tent all by myself while everyone else just sat around not even realizing I wasn't there. Those dirtbegs.
I don't really know what else to say. Mainly I'm just avoiding doing my CAPA. Michelle should be coming over soon. I hope she didn't forget. I wonder where Julie is... maybe class? Hmm. 

 


At this point, I should probably offer up some background information so that this actually makes sense to you.  First of all, wanna know what I got on my GRE?  The exact. same. score. as my SAT.  Yeah, I'm a frickin genius, I tell ya.  This caused some worrisome times for me in the months to come, as I wondered whether I would ever get into grad school.  Obviously, I did, but that part of the story comes later.

The summer before I started up this journal (which was the summer between my junior and senior year in college) I went to Wyoming to dig holes and break dinosaur bones (on accident?) and stuff like that.  I was in a group of about 10 other college students from different schools, so I was excited to see them again at the geology conference we were all going to in Denver that fall.

The atrium was a big room in the science building at Hope where we sometimes had ice cream parties, and apparently practiced putting up tents.

Dirtbegs is spelled right.  My friend Emily is from Minnesota and that's how she said it.

CAPA was my chemistry homework that I handed in electronically every week.  It was kind of nice because we got three tries to get it right.  Instant gratification.  But it was still ridiculous amounts of difficult so I had my friend Michelle, who was a chem major, come over to help me.  If it weren't for her, I most likely would have failed.  Really truly.

And Julie was my roommate.  She was cool beans.

I think I'll end with this one, for kicks.


Tuesday October 26, 2004
i'd be that girl... (I'm pretty sure this was a reference to a Barenaked Ladies song)
oh, goodness, i'm tired. i should be doing more homework or sleeping right now but the anchor (student newspaper, I'll talk about this more later, I'm sure) takes a lot out of me. when i was over there, i was thinking that my love/hate mineral should have been ankerite. but barite is okay too.
anyway, my spanish class today was actually kind of all right. the professor told us a funny story about a girl who he went to a bullfight with. apparently she threw up all over some old guy and then the guy turned around and yelled at my professor for bringing a girl to a bullfight in the first place. then he went on to explain bullfighting and how it worked and that the bullfigter had to stand really still so that the bull wouldn't know he was alive and proceed to gore him to death. i don't think i would like to be a bullfighter. the reason he told us all this was because we read this poem about bullfighting and death. the poet had a hard time accepting death because it was absolute, and absolute things are hard for us to understand. at 5:00 the bullfighter was alive and by 5:03 he was dead. the poet didn't want it to be 5:03; he wanted it to be 5:00 still because if he could stop time, then his friend wouldn't have died. but time keeps moving on for some reason. i am not sure why.
hmm. this is not really making any sense. perhaps this is due to the fact that it is almost 1 a.m. darn time. 


I can't stop time.  And I can't go back, but the stories are there, and that's what's important.

2 comments »

  • Camille said:  

    What fun! I really do like these kinds of posts (with personal stuff) best. You do such a good job at them.

    Favourite line? "so anyway it's a pretty pathetic looking journal right now because i don't know anything."

    So profound. That's how I feel about my life a lot. : )

  • Sprite's Keeper said:  

    I totally got the Barenaked Ladies song from your title! And now I have it in my head..What a great insight into who you were! If I were to go back 6 years, I'd be afraid of what I read!
    You're linked!

  • Leave your response!