The Saga of the Rental Car: Insurance for Slowpokes

Apr 28, 2010 Leave a Comment

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I got a nifty rental car while mine was in the shop.  It was fun, I liked driving the different car for a while.  Matt thought it was ugly.  I had no real opinion on how it looked.  It got me from Point A to Point B.  I also said the acceleration was bad and brakes were weird.  Well, the acceleration was always crappy, particularly on the highway, but the brakes and just the general feel of the car began to grow on me, and when I picked up my own car, over two weeks later, it felt big, heavy and bulky. 

But that's not what I want to talk about.  You may have noticed that I said above that I picked up my car OVER TWO WEEKS later.  15 days to be exact.  I will remind you that my car did not have major work done.  It had a scratch, and a small dent.  Mind you, they were ugly and I wanted to get them fixed, but I really didn't think it would be that big of a deal.  Wrong-O.

It turns out that the collision place I was originally supposed to go to was one of the insurance company's preferred shops.  They didn't need someone to come out and make an assessment before work could be done.  But the place I ended up taking it was not one of those places.  I found this out a couple hours after I had dropped the car off and gotten my rental.  The lady I talked to on the phone said it was no big deal, and she'd set up an appointment for someone to go look at the car.  Ok, everything's good.  Wrong again.

Several days later the collision center says the insurance person still has not shown up, so I call them back to find out what's going on.  Well, turns out that someone had made a note for someone to come out to look at the car, but oops!  the actual appointment was never made.  By this time, it's Thursday afternoon and the earliest someone can come out is Monday.  I'm ok with this.  I'll just drive the rental a bit longer.  No problem.

Or so I think...

7 comments »

  • Chloe said:  

    Gosh. Everything is wrong?!
    This kind of situations is really common here in Spain. Unfortunately.
    They are sooo incompetent and unreliable... Sigh.

  • Chloe said:  

    Btw, good luck with your car!!

  • Anonymous said:  

    Oh no! I'm so sorry!

    Also, I loved your post the other day and the mention of hilltop and girl scout songs! Totally took me back. I think I still know those trails be heart.

  • Carma Sez said:  

    UGH. Car stuff is such a pain in the butt which is precisely why I hope to live in the city one day and ditch the car. Hope you get your own wheels back soon.

  • Camille said:  

    Oooh, this sounds dramatic! And I love a good drama! (As long as it's not my own.)

  • Megan (Best of Fates) said:  

    Ugh, that sucks! Good luck!

  • Maureen said:  

    This story does have an ending, I promise. I'm just being lame and haven't posted it yet. I would like nothing more than to go home and write blog posts for the rest of the day. Or go back to bed. But, alas, work.

  • Leave your response!