The Saga of the Rental Car: Phone Tag

May 9, 2010 Leave a Comment

One day, I left work early and the next morning I returned to find a message on my answering machine.  Thinking it was someone from work, since work people are the only people who call me on my work phone, or so one would think.  It was the car rental place.  They said the insurance company had refused an extension on the payment and I owed them $360.  Ummm... what?  I just talked to the insurance guy and he said it would be extended.

So I called the insurance guy again and he said oh, no it's okay.  It's been extended through the following week.  We're just waiting on the collision center to explain why they kept your car over the weekend.  I said that's fine, but let him know that the rental place is going to close my account that evening and could he please get it taken care of before then.  He seemed to think that was ok so I hung up. 

After work I decided to call the rental place to see what had happened since I talked to the insurance guy.  The woman I talked to said nothing had been approved except for one extension that lasted through Friday of the first week, and I would be responsible for everything else.  That meant an entire week and two weekends.  Not cool.

I called the insurance guy back saying I was getting conflicting stories about the rental payments and wanted to know what was going on.  He started in with some crap about "Oh, I know it's not your fault that the collision center kept your car over the weekend but they can't explain why they did it so we can't approve it."

Ignoring the fact that this is completely stupid, I just said, well the lady at the rental place told me you wouldn't even approve the second week of repairs, so fix that first.  He said that's supposed to be approved so maybe he should just call her and explain.  OH YES!  Now THAT is an idea!  Why didn't I think of that before?  (At this point, I should probably let you know that the rental place and the insurance company had only been corresponding by email; no one actually talked to another person on the phone)

Well, apparently the guy called and worked something out because I haven't heard a thing about it since then.

3 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'm so glad that everything got worked out. What a pain though. I'm (unfortunately) constantly amazed at how daft some people can be, especially in the "customer service" profession.

    Also, if I haven't commented on it before, I really like the new design of your blog.

  • Carma Sez said:  

    you mean you haven't heard a thing since *knock on wood*

  • Chloe said:  

    I'm sorry I've been MIA... May is a busy month.
    Hope everything got worked out!

  • Leave your response!