Negrito Fire Station

Aug 6, 2011 Leave a Comment

For the past several weeks, I have been staying at the Negrito Work Station while I do my mapping.  The firefighters stay there when they're not off, you know, fighting fires.  They have barracks that they stay in but we just sort of set up our tents somewhere and call it good.  However, we have access to everything else.  We're not staying at Negrito next week, though, because it's more convenient to go somewhere else.  I may or may not go back later by myself (next week is J's last week before school starts and I am sad : (   but in the meantime I thought I'd show you some crappy blurry pictures I took of Negrito, so you'll see what it was like to stay there.


Ok, so first of all, they have bathrooms with flush toilets, sinks with running water, and showers.  This, to me, is pretty darn fancy.  Last year, at Ben Lilly, we had some latrine type toilets that I thought were nice compared to the behind the tree pee that I normally did.  But these... they flush!  And oh my gosh, showers... I've taken one every week and it is super amazing being able to get clean after working with dirt all day, especially now that monsoon season is kicking in and everything is all wet and muddy.


This is the kitchen and mess hall where we often cooked and ate dinner.  Other times, we've just used our own camp stove and sat on the back of the truck but when it's raining, it's nice to have a place to go inside and eat.  Plus, they have a tv.  That's pretty awesome.  I should have taken a picture of the mess hall with the tv in it but I didn't because J was in there watching baseball and I got nervous he would think I was weird for taking all these stupid pictures.  But I did take a picture of the entryway.


And the kitchen.


The only thing I didn't really like about it in here was that it smelled kind of weird.  Oh, and the rat poops.  But the firefighters clean it all the time so it wasn't really that gross. 


I guess that's it for now.  I'll try to take some pictures of our camping spot next week to show you as well.  I can't believe it's August already.  The summer is going by too fast, and I still have so much more field work to go.  I'm starting to dread it again.  At least I'll have one more good week.

4 comments »

  • Mami en construcción said:  

    WOW. You're much braver than me.
    And rat poops?? That's gross! At least for me!
    I wouldn't have survived over there.

  • PJ said:  

    I don't know how you do it! I could deal with no shower for a few days; but no flushing toilet is where I would draw the line.

  • Megan (Best of Fates) said:  

    Okay, I'm in awe of you and your ability to casually throw out references to rat poop!

  • Camille said:  

    I know you wrote this a long time ago but I've been meaning to tell you: it was a great post. I love seeing the details of your exotic job! Thanks for sharing!

  • Leave your response!