Fire Suns and Circus Tents

Jun 9, 2012 Leave a Comment

In case you live under a rock somewhere (unless that rock is in the Gila), there's a giant fire burning right now.  It's called the Whitewater-Baldy.  It's like 280,000 acres or something ridiculous like that.  Meanwhile, I've been doing field work, in the Gila, for about a month now.  We started work near the fabulous Truth or Consequences.  Then the fire started dropping ash from the sky so we decided to leave there and go somewhere else.  But first, here's a little bit about what happened in the first two weeks (or what I can remember of it).

The first week, we planned to camp at a little fire base called Beaverhead.  It's not as nice as Negrito, but it's ok.  The main thing we didn't like about it was there were a lot more firefighters there all the time, and we kind of wanted to not be around a bunch of other people, because we're antisocial like that.  The first night, it was just J and me, so we decided to find some random spot to camp after driving around all day.  This is what we came up with.


The next day, we went back to Beaverhead because we had to meet our coworker from Silver City, so we moved camp.

This is our crappy work tent that I don't like putting up.  It also has a broken pole.

And this is a random swing.  Yep.

My boss bought a new tent this year, for us to all hang out in or something when it rains.  It's really big.  We call it the circus tent.  We had to put it up and test it out the first week.  The guys don't like it.  I'm pretty much indifferent to it.

In the circus tent, not paying attention to the photographer

The second week, the smoke came and turned the sun red.

Ok, so I took this on my phone which is why the color sucks, but the sun was red, and it was not cloudy.  That is smoke.

The smoke affected all of us, but it hit the guys harder than me.  They felt like crap pretty much the whole time.  And that is why we moved the next week, to the west side of the fire, in hopes that it wouldn't be quite as smoky.  For the most part, it really hasn't been, so that's good.  But I've learned that it wouldn't be field season without some sort of issue(s).  Especially when I'm involved, it seems.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to write about that.  I might not.

1 comments »

  • PJ said:  

    Gila is one of our parks and the guy assigned to it keeps having to put off meetings and such because of the fire. I'm secretly glad that I wasn't assigned that park - although I would have loved to come visit.

  • Leave your response!