My Day at the Spa

Jan 11, 2010 Leave a Comment

A little while ago I got a huge discount on a gift certificate for 4 treatments at the local spa.  This weekend I used one of them.  I got a facial and it was, I have to admit, a little weird, but cool at the same time.

I got there and they asked me if I wanted tea or water.  I was feeling thirsty so I went for the water.  Later, Matt told me I should have went with the tea but oh well, next time.  Then I went into this little waiting room with benches and comfy cushions and they had me fill out a form saying "how my skin felt today."  A girl came in a little later and said something really fast so I couldn't understand what she said.  Then she said, or do you just want the facial?  Thinking the other thing was going to cost more, I said I just wanted the facial but she said "are you sure, it comes free with it?" so I said yes, then, I wanted that too, and she led me to a little room with a bed in it.

Turns out the thing she said earlier was an eyebrow wax.  Okay.  She just said eyebrow really weird.  I've never had my eyebrows waxed before so I was a little nervous, but it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I expected it to.  I told her it was my first time getting my eyebrows waxed so she didn't take off very much and I think it's hard to notice a difference.  They still look pretty good, though.  Cleaner and not as bushy.  I thought Matt wouldn't notice the difference but when I showed him, he seemed to like it, so I guess it's noticeable enough.  What do you think?

BEFORE



 AFTER



I may have to try it again and get more taken off next time.  What I'm wondering is what I should do in between, when little eyebrow stubbies start growing in and they're too short to get out with tweezers.

After that she led me to another little room which was totally dark except for two little ceiling lights, and I totally tripped over something when I went in.  She told me to take off my shirt and bra and lay on the bed.  Ummm....WHAT???  I was super weirded out by that point but figured, what the hey, so I did it, and waited for her to come back in.  She came in telling me something about salicylic acid... blah blah and then made me smell some stuff before proceeding to rub a whole bunch of different things all over my face.  The weirdest part was when she put something on my face with a paintbrush.  Then she turned on a humidifier and rubbed something else all over my hands and arms.

After she finished, she gave me a towel and told me I could just chill in there for a while and then come out and meet her in the front.  I came back out ready to "pay" and leave but she wasn't done yet.  She wanted to put some lipstick on me.  Not really sure why, but I went with it.  Then she proceeded to show me all of the many numerous expensive objects she put on my face that I could buy.  I said I'd "think about it."  She told me I should get a facial every 5 weeks.  Yeah, I'll get right on that.

My next appointment is a haircut and some highlights or something on Feb 20, so I'll keep you posted on what happens with that.

4 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love finding good deals on gift certificates. That's how I have been looking for a new hair place in DC. I've never done a spa anything before, maybe when I have a job and am done with school. I think the eyebrows look good. Not that different, just cleaner.

  • tattytiara said:  

    I wasn't happy with the way I shaped my brows, so I went and had them professionally waxed. I've just caught the new hairs with tweezers as they come in and I've been really happy with how neat it's stayed two years after the fact. I couldn't tell you how the hairs come in - it's like they aren't there one day and they are the next - but I never notice stubble like you get when you shave. Waxing doesn't leave blunt ends, so the hair comes in softer, just like naturally shed hair replaces itself.

    She did a lovely job, but yeah, your brows are pretty dang naturally neat to begin with.

  • Camille said:  

    I think your eyebrows look great! I vote you have it done again---it's a very minor, but lovely change.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love spa treatments, but they do tend to be a little expensive especially when they start promoting all their products...gift vouchers are the way to go!

  • Leave your response!