,

My First Pot Roast

Jan 5, 2010 Leave a Comment

This weekend I used the crock pot Matt's parents gave me for Christmas to cook my first ever pot roast.  The night before, Matt and I went to Albertson's to buy ingredients (and get enough stickers to pay half price for the wok that they were giving away).  Then we said goodnight and he went to work.

The next day, I began preparing my pot roast recipe, which I got from here, with some modifications.  My roast was 2lbs instead of three, I only used two potatoes and replaced the others with 2 tomatoes (because it's what I had), added two garlic cloves, and used low sodium chicken broth instead of beef bouillon and water (chicken because it's healthier than beef broth; I also used about 1/2 cup instead of 1/3, but it just depends on how soupy you want it).  Oh, and I added about 1/2 cup of green chile, because that's how we do it here in New Mexico.

In the end, it turned out pretty good.  I think I cooked it a little too long because I wanted to make sure it was done, so it was not as tender as I had hoped, but it was still pretty good.  Here's how it turned out.


Not bad, huh?  I thought so.  Unfortunately, I was the only judge that night because my meal companion did not make it.  He had planned to come over around 7 so that we could eat and spend a little time together before he had to go to work, but around 7:30 I got a text message indicating he had overslept (which is common) and wouldn't be coming over.  I was crushed.  I had just spent a good part of the day preparing and cooking a meal for us to share together and he didn't even come over.  I wasn't really mad, just disappointed that this keeps happening over and over again.  The boy seriously cannot get out of bed.  It's a real problem for him.  I can only hope that it will get better once he gets a more normal schedule (one that doesn't require him to work nights) but the end to that is nowhere in sight.  I feel sorry for him, and for me.

That was Saturday.  The next day he came over after work and we were able to spend some time together then.  We did kind of do what he wanted (which was to examine every centimeter of his new model airplanes and then watch home video of old air shows) for a good part of it, and I was a little bored, but I guess I didn't really mind that much.  After all, he did help me go grocery shopping for a meal he didn't even get to eat.  I guess it's all about compromise.

10 comments »

  • Chloe said:  

    Hi Maureen!
    I'm Chloe, and... I'm back! I moved to a new blog: http://mynewlifeasahousewife.blogspot.com/
    Hope you had a merry Christmas!!
    I think this pot roast looks YUMMY!! Congrats!!

  • Anonymous said:  

    That looks absolutely delicious!

  • Carma Sez said:  

    but did you get to reheat the meal and serve it to him the next night - hope so. Especially after having to watch video of old air shows...that was a BIG compromise your your end :D

  • Maureen said:  

    haha, yep, I did, and he liked it, so all's well :)

  • jessicabold said:  

    That looks SO good...especially right now...because it's freezing outside (as in: 20 degrees).

    Yay...new blog site!!

  • Maureen said:  

    i know how you feel. this morning my car thermometer read 16 degrees. fabulous.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I love the new blog and design and all that. That pot roast looks great. I love my crock-pot, especially during the winter!

  • said:  

    Maureen, you have won my Old El Paso giveaway! Please send me your full name and address so I can submit it and you can receive your prize. My email is autumnsensation@yahoo.com.

  • Matt5verse6 said:  

    Hi there. I'm dropping by from SITS to say, "hello"! It's nice to "meet" you. Best wishes in 2010.

    Kindest regards,
    Brook

  • Kelly Loy Gilbert said:  

    Just found your blog! :) You know, it's funny, I have never in my life made or had pot roast. Not once. It seems like one of those things everyone would've, right?

    But this looks delicious! I'll have to try it sometime.

  • Leave your response!