Part 1: The Ugly Truth

Feb 25, 2010 Leave a Comment

I'm going to let you in on a little secret.

I have gray hairs.

Yeah, it's a bummer.  But the real kicker?  I've had them since I was sixteen.  SIX.TEEN.  I remember because I first noticed them on a trip to my grandparents' house with my family.  I was the last one to get out of the minivan and was shutting the door when I caught a glimpse of myself in the window.  Two long gray strands were hanging down from the side of my head.  What the....????

I quickly yanked them out, and dismissed it as a fluke.

It wasn't.  They just kept multiplying and multiplying.  And I just kept pulling them out, but it was getting to a point when I could never get them all.  I know there's some saying that if you pull one out, two more will grow in.  Is that true?  I don't know.  I'm not a scientist (oh, wait, I AM, nevermind...but not that KIND of scientist) but I think it has something to do with using up pigment/color.  Mine is just running out sooner than expected.  Kind of like the time they ran out of roast beef at Arby's.  Observe...

Supply and Demand!  Apparently my hair does not understand economics.  But neither do I, so I guess I can't blame it.

Lucky for me (I guess), my hair is super thick and I have a lot of it, so it was easy enough to hide at first.  But it did eventually get to a point when people started to notice.  Crap-tastic.

Sometimes when we're just sitting around hanging out or whatever, Matt pulls them out for me.  After about 10, 12 or 15, he gets frustrated and stops.  Because there's a lot.

So, why don't I just dye it?  I bought a box when I lived in Vegas and then freaked out and let it sit under my bathroom sink until I moved out, then I threw it away.  I bought another one here that I think is still sitting under the sink, if I haven't thrown away already.  I think the main reason is that a lot of my hair is still brown, and it just seems like a waste of my natural color to put fake crap over it.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to do anything remotely close to changing my hair color.  In any way.  Ever.

But that might be about to change...

20 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    i hear you there, ive had grays since i was like 12. great post!!

    Jacqui

  • PJ said:  

    I have just, with in the last year, started to notice grays. Luckily I'm blond, so it doesn't really matter. The more disturbing thing for me is that my thick hair is now fine and thinner.

  • Sprite's Keeper said:  

    My brother-in-law is 21 years old, but has had gray hairs since he was 10. He has a thick head of hair that he keeps cut very close that it looks like fresh piles on a carpet, but if you look, you can see the silver ALL OVER.
    I actually like it! No worries, you're forgiven! And linked!

  • Chloe said:  

    One of my best friends has had gray hairs since she was 14! And started dying it, two years later...
    So, don't worry! you're not the only one!!
    And besides, I don't think you need to change your hair color!

  • Rachel Cotterill said:  

    I had a white streak when I was a baby - I'm kind of sorry to have lost it. Now I just have odd ones.

  • Stefanie Wolfaardt said:  

    It's said that if you pull out your grays then more will grow around that spot. How true it is, I don't know.

    ~stopping by from SITS to say welcome

  • Small Burst said:  

    If you can hold off on dying your hair then you should. No rush. Trust me!! I've had grays since I was 16 too but thankfully they were hidden and in the back. Welcome to SITS.

  • Sharon said:  

    I know... my gray hairs started showing up when I was 28 and I was mortified. The only saving grace is that I'm a "chemically induced blond" so that covers them up. But they are annoying. Oi

    I guess I should look at it as a sign of wisdom or something deep like that. Eventually!

    Stopping by from SITS. Hope you have a great week!

  • Queenie Jeannie said:  

    I started getting gray hairs in my early twenties and like you, pulled them out at first. Then I got my hair colored professionally for years. After my divorce, I couldn't afford it and starting doing it myself. I do it BETTER myself, lol!!! It's cheaper and the color is better. Go for it! I really love L'Oreal!!

    Stopping by from SITS!

  • Rachel Cotterill said:  

    PS Welcome to our SITS community! :)

  • Anonymous said:  

    If it were 2 or 3 hairs, I'd pull them out. Anymore than that and they're either staying or getting dyed.

    Welcome to SITS!

  • Kristi said:  

    Visiting from SITS! I'm not getting grey hair, I am getting these crazy white hairs popping up! When I find them, I pluck them. Lucky for me, I get my hair highlighted so most just blend in. They are wirely little buggers!

  • thatgirlblogs said:  

    just DO it and DYE it. you'll feel better!

    welcome to SITS ;)

  • Robyn | Add a Pinch said:  

    I'm a dye job girl myself. Makes it so much easier than having to fight them.

    Welcome to SITS!

  • Linzi said:  

    lol, I love your writer's voice! I have been accruing gray hairs since I had my daughter 5 months ago. If she is giving me gray hair at 5 months, I expect to go fully platinum when she is a teenager.
    I like you. I think I'm gonna follow ya!
    I just stopped by from The Secret is in The Sauce to welcome you to the SITSahood!

  • Carma Sez said:  

    I have about 5 gray hairs - but let's just say I'm considerable older than you *cough* forties *cough*

    I'm too chicken to dye it too - besides when I see all those warnings about not getting in the eye or it may cause blindness!!!!!! no thanks.

  • Ann On and On... said:  

    I'm gray too, but I use that color crap... LOL I'm afraid I'd be bald if I pulled them all out.

    WELCOME to SITS! It's great to have a new SITSer. Bonus, I'm hosting a giveaway for NEW sunglasses. Like most yours are lost or bent...come on over.

  • Erin said:  

    I just wrote a similar post a couple of weeks ago. I dye my hair, but I go to a hair salon to get it done. I am too scared to do it myself. It costs more that way, but then I have someone else to blame if it doesn't come out right!

    Stopping by from SITS - just dye it!

  • Shell said:  

    I dye mine b/c I'm vain like that. ;)

    Then again, two of my sils are hairdressers so they help me out. The one time I tried by myself, my hair turned ORANGE.

    Stopping by to welcome you to SITS!

  • said:  

    I'm stopping by from The Secret is in the Sauce to say welcome to the community - we're glad you joined us!

  • Leave your response!