Gourmet-Style Hamburgers at Home

Aug 29, 2010 Leave a Comment

There are a lot of really good restaurants in Albuquerque.  I'd say there are more local dining options here than anywhere else I've lived.  It's nice, but lately I've been feeling like I'm eating out a lot, which can get expensive (and is not always the healthiest option either). 

So this weekend, I decided to make an effort to get to the grocery store and make up some tasty, inexpensive dinners at home.  One New Mexico staple is the green chile cheeseburger.  Yesterday, when I went to Sunflower Market, they were roasting chiles out in the parking lot.  They smelled really good.  So I picked some up, along with 93% lean ground beef, sliced yellow cheddar (both on sale), a red onion (75 cents), a few slices of bacon, and whole wheat hamburger buns.  

Last night, Matt and I cooked the burgers up on the grill.  We also grilled the bacon, which worked out really well.  And toasted the buns with a little butter, garlic and red chili powder.  In the end, we came up with this.


A green chile bacon cheeseburger that would rival any burger at a restaurant, and for about a third of the price.  We took a look at the grocery receipt and decided that we spent about $3 per burger.  At a restaurant, the same thing would cost around $9. 

And tonight, we're using the rest of the meat to make sloppy joes.  Yum!

4 comments »

  • Chloe said:  

    Oooh... Hamburger!!Yummmmm...
    Mouth-watering...

    Sorry this is the only thing I can write at the moment... I've just arrived from school, and I'm starving!! I'm going to cook something RIGHT NOW!

  • Anonymous said:  

    Holy crap that looks delicious! I loooove a good burger. Now I know what I'm searching for at lunch today.

  • Camille said:  

    This is making me hungry! Thanks for participating.

  • Anonymous said:  

    I just tried to eat my screen!

  • Leave your response!