,

Snow Lake

Aug 21, 2010 Leave a Comment

This past week, while I was working, I stayed at a new campsite by Snow Lake.  Everyone else was staying in a hotel (wimps!) and my mapping area is a lot closer to Snow Lake than Ben Lilly.  So, it was just me and my boss.  Camping.  For three nights.  Fun.

Here's where we camped, along with a group of drunk male college students, who said "Dude!" to each other like a million times within a 5 minute period.


On our last night there, I finally had a chance to get some pictures of the lake.  Here it is in all its Snowy, Lakey glory.


In Michigan we would call that a pond, but we also would call hills "mountains," so you win some, you lose some, I suppose.  It's still really pretty, though.

On my journey to the lake, I found a really cool looking rock.  It looks like obsidian but it also has some weird silvery-white stripes on it.


Believe it or not, I did some actual work last week as well.  Every year, we have a field review to show an example of the work we did, and for that we dig a big 1m x 1m pit so the main boss can look at it.  Here's the first one I dug. 


It was NOT fun to dig, because, as you can see in the pile next to the pit, there were about a thousand rocks getting in the way of the soil.  Want to know the best (aka worst) part?  After we had finished digging, we found out that the plot didn't fit the map unit we wanted to put it in because there were no oak trees around.  So I got to go down the hill and dig another, much deeper one.  It was AWESOME.  I didn't take a picture of that one.

One pit we dug was in an interesting looking flat area mostly covered with iris and a grass called spike muhly.

Spike Muhly, image from USDA Plants Database

And here's what the site looked like.


Another day, I saw a cool frog and tried to take a picture but I was too close and it turned out all blurry.  Too bad!


Not to be deterred by my poor photography skills, I ended the week with a cool misty morning picture of the campsite.

4 comments »

  • VandyJ said:  

    That rock is awesome--looks like a very well polished gniess--pronounced "nice". Geologists call that kind of rock a nice gniess--we grologists know how to have a good time I tell you.
    Glad you had fun camping, to bad about the pits though.

  • Maureen said:  

    Hmm, yeah, I've never seen it look like that before, but it might be gneiss.

  • Chloe said:  

    Oh, I missed this post!
    Sorry! I've been MIA, because we had a loooong birthday weekend and I haven't turned the computer on for 3 DAYS! Can't believe it!
    I have to catch up and write some posts!!

  • SuziCate said:  

    That is a cool rock! I browsed through your site a bit and must say I am intrigued and envious...what an awesome job! To be out in the wilderness, wow! I love the great outdoors!

  • Leave your response!