Christmas Stuff

Dec 28, 2010 Leave a Comment

Well, I've had a lovely afternoon.  I finally went to see Harry Potter, and it was amazing.  I've heard people complain that "they're in the woods the whole time!  It's so boring!"  First of all, they're in the woods the whole time in the book, so it's not like they can change that.  Secondly, they didn't exactly spend a whole bunch of time just sitting around in the woods.  There was lots of other stuff going on.  The scenery was beautiful, the story moved along at a nice pace, and it was just awesome.  I really liked how they did the story of the three brothers.  Very simple and tasteful.  And of course, I could not ignore the geology.  In one scene they were sitting on some limestone cliffs, but the tops of them sort of looked like stromatolites.  I thought that was cool.

Anyhoo...I haven't written about Christmas yet.  We usually have it at our house but my grandpa wanted to have it at his house this year, so I wasn't sure what it would be like.  But it actually turned out really well.  My mom brought along our usual games that we play, and we had lots of fun with that.


These are our two games, all set up.  Guess the number of candies in the jars and the wine tasting contest.  We started out with the candy game, each using our own "scientific" methods of quantification.




The wine game also utilized our top analytical skills.


I actually guessed a lot of them right this year.  The only ones I got mixed up were the Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.  I really should have been able to tell the difference, because I generally like the Cab a lot better, but I guess this was just a really good Merlot... or something.  All I know is that the wine began disappearing out of the bottles rather quickly after the contest was over, and my cousin was extra giddy when we went upstairs for our gift exchange.

The Cheerios were for the dog

This year, we decided that we didn't want to spend much, but we still wanted to do something.  So we ended up giving each other $5 gifts.  Most of these were wine and chocolate.  I got my person a 1.5 liter bottle of wine for $4.50.  Not sure how high quality of wine that is but it's what she wanted.  My brother gave me a Swiss chocolate bar and a little assortment of chocolates.

We also spent a considerable amount of time eating food.  The main courses were chicken noodle soup and ham sandwiches.  We had enough soup to supply a small soup kitchen.


It was really good, though.  My mom makes the best soup.  We spent the rest of the night watching Harry Potter 5 (we watched the last two in preparation for today) and then went home.  

Sometimes, it's hard to see the effects of change and of people getting older.  It has happened in our family and it will continue to happen.  But it's nice to know that I have these people in my life and have been able to experience so many Christmases with them.  I have been blessed with many good things.

7 comments »

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'm glad I'm not the only person who liked the most recent movie.

  • Chloe said:  

    It seems you had a great Christmas!
    Love your Christmas tree! It's so big (at least compared with mine, haha)
    We also decided not to spend too much...

  • Maureen said:  

    It's actually my grandparents' Christmas tree. It's fake. I have some pics of ours as well, which I will put up later.

  • Anonymous said:  

    My parents and I are going to see Harry Potter tomorrow! I'm so excited and glad to hear that it's good!

  • Anonymous said:  

    Okay, after seeing Harry Potter, I didn't feel like they were in the woods a lot. I was expecting a lot more woods time.

  • Maureen said:  

    They really weren't. They moved around a lot. I was expecting a lot more woods time too.

  • Wildology said:  

    I thought the movie tracked the book very well....and was pleased with it, too! I love your games!!! We always play yahtzee and cranium and this year the big hit was catch phrase!

  • Leave your response!