,

day fourteen: plans/dreams/goals you have

Dec 8, 2010 Leave a Comment

The past two days, I took a break from my normal job and went to NEPA training.  In case you're wondering, NEPA stands for National Environmental Policy Act.  Before this training, I knew absolutely nothing about it except for the vague idea that it was this terribly boring thing that some people in my office had to do all day. 

The way it began was interesting to say the least.  Since the training was in a different building, on Monday, I checked the schedule to see what time the class started on Tuesday.  It said it would begin at 10:30 and end at 6:30.  That seemed like a weird schedule but I figured they had their reasons.  I spent Tuesday morning at my office and left for the training around 10.  When I arrived at about 10:15, I thought I was early, but everyone was already in the conference room and the class had started.  What the heck? 

One of my co-workers from Silver City was also at the training, so I talked to him about what happened at lunch.  He said he would've thought the same thing as me except another co-worker had told him that the time listed on the schedule was in New York time, and therefore two hours earlier than here.  Awesome.  This kind of thing seems to happen to me a lot.  Somehow everyone else figures stuff like that out and I am totally clueless.  Why is that?  I'm going to make it my goal to figure it out and try to make it not happen anymore.

Anyway, back to the training... while parts of it were admittedly dull, I can't help but liking the idea of NEPA just a little.  One thing I really like about it is that it involves writing.  I like writing and I think I'm good at it.  But I never do any writing for my job.  Ever.  I don't think I'd like my job to solely be devoted to NEPA, but I think it would be interesting to get in on a project, and maybe it will help me figure out where I want to ultimately take my career.  I do have a tiny little sparkle of a goal in mind, but I'm not exactly ready to share it with the internet yet.  I want it to feel closer to real first.  Hopefully it will happen someday.


And just for fun, some other goals:
I want to travel to lots of different places around the world, learn French, have a house with lots of windows, a big kitchen and a backyard, throw a really great party, lose 20lbs., go dancing, make my favorite chocolate chip cupcakes, do the laundry.

4 comments »

  • Off-Black said:  

    You can come out here to our house with big windows and a backyard, we'll put on a barbecue (inviting my best friend who is fluent in french), have a good time, and then you can do the laundry if it helps :)

    I'm really enjoying this series of posts by the way.

  • Chloe said:  

    If you ever come to Spain, you should visit me!
    And I could teach you French!
    And if you ever have a house with lots of windows and throw a really great party, I want to be there!! That sounds so fun!
    Also, if you want to do laundry, please come to Spain and do mine. Because I don't want to. :-)

  • Wildology said:  

    NEPA compliance is hell. just sayin'. :)

  • Maureen said:  

    Haha, thanks guys! Sounds like a plan!

    As for NEPA, the thing that most turned me off was being able to hold up a decision in court. That would freak me out. Maybe if I could just do a tiny little not very significant part...

  • Leave your response!