, ,

Dinner at Home

Mar 30, 2011 Leave a Comment

I've been trying this new thing lately, called making dinner at home.  It's a good idea!  I can't believe I used to hate going out to eat.  I seriously thought I would die.  That was a weird phase in my life.  Now I'm making up for it, I suppose.  But perhaps a bit too much.  Hence the making food at home.  Matt does some cooking too.  Here's what he made the other night.

Looks good, huh?  The sweet potatoes were awesome.  It's just chopped up potatoes (I think they're technically yams, actually) and onions with chili powder and olive oil baked for about an hour and 10 minutes.  So yummy.

Last night I was invited over to his parents' house for dinner and tonight we were lazy and had frozen pizza (because I had class and got home super late) but we didn't go out and the pizza was on sale for $4, so that's pretty good.  I spiffed it up with pico de gallo and spinach. 

Tomorrow I have caving class, which also goes late, so I'm trying to figure out how that will work.  My plan was wild rice stuffed pork chops and asparagus, so I'm hoping I can convince my chef to make it for me.  Tee hee!

I really want to make healthy dinners at home every night and work out on a regular basis.  I just have so much stuff going on all the time and it's hard.  Like tonight, after work, school and groceries, I was home for the night by about 8:30.  That's pretty typical.  Maybe I'm trying to do too much?

2 comments »

  • Mami en construcción said:  

    Yes, you're doing TOO much!
    That picture looks delicious!!
    Good for you! Dinners at home are better!
    "I'm hoping I can convince my chef to make it for me." LOL

  • Anonymous said:  

    I'm also cooking almost everything I eat, and the way I make it work timewise is to make larger quantities of two main dishes each week -- I can eat the same things for lunch/dinner 4-5 days and still freeze a few portions, and making a side dish of vegetables or fruit doesn't take very long. If I get bored, I supplement with things I've previously frozen or sandwiches. I eat a lot of lentils and rice with caramelized onions and spices (especially good with avocado), and last night I made a chickpea + collard greens main dish and fresh bread.

    Sometimes the box macaroni wins, though.

    I'll have to try that yam recipe. It looks delicious!

  • Leave your response!